Friday, December 15, 2006

How to build your own website

Well my first post seemed to go down well.

So lets get stuck in. I have done a Google search on "build my own website" - pretty generic stuff and straight away i get a great article from the BBC from some chap called Bruce (whatever Brucie...)

Right then according to the BBC I need the following:
1. A computer - who is this guy
2. A modem - Jesus wept
3. Internet access via an ISP -(isp?? -only kidding)
4. A domain name (optional - unless you want something cack)
5. Web space - (yessss)
6. Web authoring or HTML editing software - now we are getting somewhere
7. FTP software (????)
8. Some good ideas
9. Plenty of time!
10. Some good advice - that's what I am talking about

The full article is attached here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/askbruce/articles/browse/buildwebsite_1.shtml

Now given that a senile gorilla with no teeth could have told me 1 and 2 then lets get straight onto number 3. Domain names

As I understand it many ISPs will provide some space hosted by them so you can set up your site.

I have virgin broadband and to be honest I have no idea whether they do this, that said I don't want to use them as I want to have my own funky name.

I want build a site about my family to start with so I can get a good understanding of the techniques before going to something more commercial - I have been thinking of lordy.com or lordy.co.uk I will check and see if they are available - or what about www. jonlord.me.uk??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yo hey lordy - keep up the good work